It is electoral campaign season in Malta. Unlike many
other countries campaigners have no trouble in getting people interested in
voting. While countries like America get around 50% of voting, in Malta the
voting is over 90%. I don’t know if the reason is because it’s a small country
and there’s nothing much else to talk about besides football or if it’s because
we have very charismatic leaders. But one thing is sure, the Maltese population
love politics.
Yet campaigners still go the extra mile to attract
people in their campaign by using billboards, mobile messages and telephone
calls among others. What I find ironic is the childish way with which they go about their campaigning.
The easiest and most prominent examples are of course the billboards. They are
creative and very amusing like these two:
But I
wonder whether they are really effective. Are floating voters really influenced
by such propaganda? Of course it tickles the fancy of core voters, but isn't politics
supposed to be a serious matter? Shouldn't they be more concerned about their
proposals and making sure that if they are chosen they can actually follow
through with their promises?
When asked whether billboards and other propaganda
marketing influenced their choice Maria Debono said that “the billboards I
usually see while I'm driving make me realise that both parties do not make it
about what they are offering, but try to make fun of each other through the
billboards.” Jane* agreed with her saying that “the only thing which may
influence my decision are the debates.”
Chiara Darmanin argued that seeing the billboards
“Made me curious [...] as to what they are telling the public they will achieve
after they win the election.” And Hannah* thinks that “the messages can be
irrelevant sometimes.”
*Names where changed to protect the privacy of the individual.


I don't think it's over 90%...
ReplyDelete