10.06.2013

The beauty of the night

When I was a little girl I used to be scared of the dark. I used to leave the lamp on at night because I was scared of what I might find. I was so scared when the electricity was out I would wake up and lie in bed eyes wide open waiting for all kinds of monsters to creep out of the corners.

Growing up I have come to embrace the darkness the night brings, but more so the silence that accompanies it.  As the island goes to sleep, I sit in my study room, the lights switched off leaving the glare of my laptop, music in my ears, a cigarette in my hand and writing stories or studying.

The silence that comes with the night is one of a kind. Even with an empty house during the day, the noise still remains. The city is bustling with activity, the cars, and the people. It can never be really quiet. Even the sunlight creates noise, bringing to light all kinds of details. Seemingly pointing out how time is running out. The night doesn't do that. It is kind to its creatures. Allows them the pleasure of pretending that time has stood still, that you are all alone in the world, that nothing else matters. It doesn't last long. But while it does, it’s pure bliss.

The quiet before the storm.

The peace before the war.

The soft darkness of the night before the harsh light of day.


My little piece of paradise.

No comments:

Post a Comment